April 17, 2021

In which Meriwhen discovers why she is bikini-challenged

No, it's not what you think. And this may enter into the TMI area, though nothing gross.

You've been warned.

Still here?

So here we go.

In 2019, I developed back pain and toe numbness of unknown origin. I lost weight (40 pounds!), and it didn't improve things. So I entered physical therapy, which helped...until 2020. COVID came along, and I had to catch it, so I was laid flat for a week. Over the year, I somehow injured my back, then my foot, then my ankle. Three separate incidents, Then there were the joys of finishing up graduate school. 

All told, I ended up regaining 27 of the 40. OK, life happens.

I follow up with my doctors to make sure there's no permanent or irreversible damage. I work with my physical therapist to get them back and foot up to speed to exercise again. I start weight training, going low and slow to rebuild my strength without reinjuring myself. I pay better attention to my eating habits and lose 10 of the regained 27. And the pain went away. 

Life is good again, birds are singing, squirrels are dancing happily...

Until the pain is back with a vengeance. As in I'm-sleeping-on-the-couch-because-I-can-prop-my-back-up-against-something-hard-all-night vengeance. I don't know what could have triggered it. Perhaps it was a tango with a combative patient: I had been on the psych medical unit a lot recently, and those little old ladies are the ones who usually injure me... generally as I'm helping them with their ADLs. Perhaps I overdid the weights: I did start a new cycle of training with heavier weights. Maybe I'm sleeping the wrong way...who knows?

My poor PT can't think of what is causing it either. I guess I'm going to be the death of him. He modifies my PT exercises, and I plow along with my best friend naproxen at my side.

At the start of April, I began feeling a familiar pain in my left side. It feels like the ovarian cysts have returned. I have to go to my PCP for a physical for school later on in the month, so I'll wait to address it with her. Meanwhile, I just do the best I can around all the pain--back and side--until it finally got so bad that I had to stop weight training. 

*sigh*

My PCP orders the pelvic ultrasound and refers me to gynecology. Surprisingly, I can get an ultrasound appointment scheduled for the following week. Usually, these things take up to a month. Even more surprising, I can get my follow-up appointment the week after.  

So yesterday, I go for the pelvic ultrasound. Anyone who has a pelvic ultrasound knows the joys of that: having to have a full bladder while they press on it for the first half of the exam. If you're female (as I am), you also get a vaginal probe, which actually is nowhere near as bad as the bladder pressing. It's not on my top-10 list of things to do, but there are far worse tests that could be done.

The first part of the exam goes as expected. The second part should all be downhill, right?

Except it's not. 

It hurts. BAD.

Seriously, thanks to three pregnancies, one being high-risk, I've had a lot of pelvic ultrasounds in life. I've never had one that was painful. And it wasn't the sonographer's technique; it was me. She wasn't hurting me. I was hurting. I never wanted an ultrasound to be over so fast.

I needed to recover from this. I go home, get my little one (who, by the way, is now 6' and wears a size 13 shoe), and we go to Sephora. His idea. A son after my own heart.

On the way back, my test results are posted to my web portal—good news: no ovarian cyst. But the fibroids are in full force. 

I've always had fibroids. They grow and shrink. I had them removed once, and they came back, so I didn't bother to have them removed again. My providers and I just monitor them. Usually, they don't bother me, and I learned to live with them. But according to the write-up from my PCP, I should follow up with gynecology because these fibroids may be the reason for the back pain.

Really? Let's meet the players.

A couple of fibroids are embedded in the uterine wall, the larger of two measuring 3 cm x 3.5 cm x 3 cm. It's practically a square. There is also a fibroid on the outer posterior wall of the uterus that measures 7 cm x 7 cm x 6 cm. My uterus is apparently 10.2 cm x 6 cm x 6.8 cm. So this fibroid is almost (not quite) as large as my uterus. 

And this explains why I have a lower belly pooch that I just can't get rid of, making me bikini-challenged. It's not adipose tissue; it's my uterus being pushed to the front by a belligerent fibroid.

What were you expecting, a rant about my thighs?

So here I am, still cuddling with my best friend naproxen, looking up treatment options for large uterine fibroids. I may restart the weight training if the pain permits; otherwise, I'll just stick to the stationary bike and treadmill.