November 10, 2018

A few of my coworkers asked me if I was going to go for that administrative position.  I didn't directly answer (at the time, it was not yet posted), but stated that it would be nice to have someone consistently there for those of us on nights and that if it had to be me to deliver that consistency, then so be it.  It was nice to hear that I still have the vote of confidence from some of my peers if I had decided to pursue it.  But as I mentioned, it's already off the table of consideration due to its hours.

In other news...the other half's father passed away this spring.  I don't thing I had mentioned it here because it blindsided us.  He went into hospital for a lung issue that turned into a cardiac issue that turned into a ICU stay that turned into the end.  The reason we were blindsided was that he and other half's mom didn't want us to know how bad things really were.  So whenever we spoke to his mom, she made it sound like things were better than they actually were.   Then one day his mom calls and says, "oh, your dad passed away."  No preamble.  Just boom.  Said it as though she was discussing the day's random activities.

Side note:  she's also a psychiatric nurse, which is probably why she had such great emotional control when talking to us.

In a way, I can't fault her.  The other half has never been good with anything medical, so much so that even I no longer disclose any of my own medical issues to him unless I'm certain I have to.  He'd spazz endlessly with worry over every single little thing.  So the family tells him only when he really needs to know.

But at the same time, if his mom knew that his dad was likely not going to make it, she should have been honest about that part so other half would have had a chance to say goodbye to him.  At least I had that chance with my dad.  Other half never got that chance. Neither did I.

I do miss my other half dad.  He was a good guy and you could always count on him for a bad pun.  And he considered me the daughter he never had.

Tomorrow is his birthday, which happens to be the same day as the half-marathon I am running walking.  I was going to wear my one of my usual running shirts (turtles or sorority runners) but found one that he'd love.  It has this printed on it:


Which is totally something my other dad would say to me as I'm slogging along.