I've been thinking about this on-and-off for a while. But as I was getting ready to drive 1.5 hours in the rain to drive to the site I'm working at today, I really realized that I'm racking up a lot of 6-day (and even a couple of 7-day) work weeks and that I'm not getting much free time anymore.
It's not that I'm unhappy at Job #3. I find it interesting, though dull at times as it's more office and telephone work than direct patient care. It's a great organization that I'm proud to be affiliated with. I also get the chance to work with amazing people are some of their sites. But it's not 100% what I want right now. I was ready to step back somewhat from the bedside and look for something of a slower pace, I would work at Job #3 full-time. I see a job like Job #3 as the last job I take before I retire. Right now, I want to remain in the trenches.
Leaving Job #3 would bring me down to having only 1 job (if you recall, I cut Job #2 (the agency job) free about a year ago). I'm not used to the idea of having only 1 job. But then again, I'm also not used to working a permanent position, as the last permanent position I had ended in 2011. Since that time, it's been the per-diem life until this year when I agreed to be tied down to a permanent position again.
So it's not as though I'm working two part-time/per-diem jobs and need the income from Job #3 just to survive. I don't even need it as an extra source of income: my main job compensates me more than handsomely. More so than I originally planned for in my budgeting. And if I really needed extra money, I could pick up at least 1 extra shift per pay-period, if not more.
As for the free time...there are some things I do want to be working on that I have been neglecting since I've been working a lot. The better half doesn't mind my working, though with flip-flopping between days and nights, he is concerned I'm not getting enough rest. Little one #1, however, is starting to mind. He gets upset when he finds out that I'm working on a day he thought I was to be off.
Little one #2 has no comment.
So here I am, seriously consider dropping my letter of resignation. I reviewed my calendar and saw that I have a few more days scheduled through the middle of next month. Since I have to put in my resignation while on-site, I think I will wait until I have honored that commitment, and then drop the letter.