July 14, 2010

Feeling a little abandoned

Off today, and I was feeling a little lonely, despite having a 5 year old in the house with me.  Most people I know work so I can't call them to see if they want to do anything.  I tried texting a couple of non-employed friends to see if they wanted to hang out, but the day wasn't good for one and the other never responded.  I wallowed in self-pity for a bit, then picked myself up and moved forward with my day.  Got some errands done, got a little exercise in, and if I'm intelligent, I'll get a little schoolwork done later.  I'll also touch base with my friends later...though lately my work schedule and their free time isn't quite syncing up.

I admit, I've always been a bit of a loner.  I grew up that way.  I was very shy and not too popular (and living in the shadow of a popular sister as well as mother didn't help).   I adjusted:  I developed my own interests, became very independent, didn't have to rely on others for happiness.  I do get out and join social groups and mingle with others.  I take a lot of time in making IRL friends, so while I may not have tons of friends and am not a social butterfly, the ones I have are top-notch and I'm very close to them.  And for the most part, I've lived a pretty happy life. 

Still doesn't mean that I don't miss the company of others though.   The fact that it's a grey rainy day (perfect for hanging out at someone's house) isn't helping.  But oh well.