September 21, 2016

In which Meriwhen contemplates resigning

Yes, resigning.  Not from my main job--I love it too much to want to do that--but from Job #3, which is per-diem days.

I've been thinking about this on-and-off for a while.  But as I was getting ready to drive 1.5 hours in the rain to drive to the site I'm working at today, I really realized that I'm racking up a lot of 6-day (and even a couple of 7-day) work weeks and that I'm not getting much free time anymore.

It's not that I'm unhappy at Job #3.  I find it interesting, though dull at times as it's more office and telephone work than direct patient care.  It's a great organization that I'm proud to be affiliated with.  I also get the chance to work with amazing people are some of their sites.  But it's not 100% what I want right now.  I was ready to step back somewhat from the bedside and look for something of a slower pace, I would work at Job #3 full-time.  I see a job like Job #3 as the last job I take before I retire.  Right now, I want to remain in the trenches.

Leaving Job #3 would bring me down to having only 1 job (if you recall, I cut Job #2 (the agency job) free about a year ago).  I'm not used to the idea of having only 1 job.  But then again, I'm also not used to working a permanent position, as the last permanent position I had ended in 2011.  Since that time, it's been the per-diem life until this year when I agreed to be tied down to a permanent position again.

So it's not as though I'm working two part-time/per-diem jobs and need the income from Job #3 just to survive.  I don't even need it as an extra source of income:  my main job compensates me more than handsomely.  More so than I originally planned for in my budgeting.  And if I really needed extra money, I could pick up at least 1 extra shift per pay-period, if not more.

As for the free time...there are some things I do want to be working on that I have been neglecting since I've been working a lot.  The better half doesn't mind my working, though with flip-flopping between days and nights, he is concerned I'm not getting enough rest.  Little one #1, however, is starting to mind.  He gets upset when he finds out that I'm working on a day he thought I was to be off.

Little one #2 has no comment.

So here I am, seriously consider dropping my letter of resignation.  I reviewed my calendar and saw that I have a few more days scheduled through the middle of next month.  Since I have to put in my resignation while on-site, I think I will wait until I have honored that commitment, and then drop the letter.