August 29, 2018

I'm sick of Translational Research

Don't get me wrong:  I loved the content of the course.  I'm just sick of working on this performance assessment for the last two weeks.  I'm already 4 days behind my arbitrary deadline.  Tomorrow will be day 5, but it WILL be the final day of this course as I plan to submit my performance assessment before lunch.  I already did the Turnitin check (6%, well below the guidelines).  I have a last review of it with the Writing Center, then I'll give it a final once-over, and then this toast is toasted.

Today was the weekly check-in with Belle.  I'm strongly suspecting that she's got a strong psych background, if she's not actually a psych nurse.  We spent 5 minutes discussing my weekly progress and 10 minutes discussing adventures in psych nursing.   And she was excited to discus psych as well.

Someone who understands my life!  This pleases me.

I also came to the realization that I REALLY do need those arbitrary deadlines. Don't get me wrong, the self-pacing of the WGU program is great.  But I realized today when I was on the 7th draft on my project that, as I told Belle, I could continue to revise this thing until the cows come home.  Instead, I need to work up to the deadline, submit it, and move on to the next course.  If my performance assessment truly blows, they'll send it back for revision.

I realize that may sound confusing to fellow students, and it confuses the hell out of me to.  To revisions/revising in WGU lingo typically means that your performance assessment was kicked back because part/all of it didn't meet the rubric standards.  Whereas in my lingo, revisions/revising means to edit yet another draft.  The previous paragraph makes it seem like my performance assessment failed 6 times already.

Moving to non-graduate school topics...

I went to the Cheesecake Factory today.  The menu is rather scary...well, not so much the food as the calorie counts listed next to the food.  There was very little in that main menu book that wasn't in the quadruple digits, and a few of those digits even started with 2.   But since I was there last time (which was probably 2012 or 2013), they have introduced an additional menu of lighter-calorie fare.  In this new menu, I'm pretty sure that no one item exceeded 1,000 calories.

I recommend the White Chicken Chili, by the way.  Excellent flavor with a nice spicy kick.  The Chicken Samosas are good too.  I had both and still kept the total calories in the triple digits.

I do regret having the Cinnabon Cheesecake though.  Which, by the way, is not on their new menu as it's about 1300 calories.  But when one is at the Cheesecake Factory, one has to have the cheesecake.  Otherwise, why go to a place named the Cheesecake Factory?  Anyhow, I thought that since I've been able to eat cheese with no issue as of late, that perhaps I was able to tolerate dairy again.  Alas, that was not the case...though it was a very tasty way to put myself in agony.  But next time I go back there, I think I'll have to settle for the bowl of strawberries instead.