December 4, 2018

In which Meriwhen wonders if her thyroid went on holiday

My weight loss had stalled, so my psychiatrist started me on a low dose of topiramate which is used off-label for weight loss.  They're not sure how it works, but apparently for a lot of people, it does.  Considering that I've been tracking my diet for a while now with no results, I figured I'd give it a go.

I had downloaded an app (Lose It), and have been pretty faithful about sticking to my calorie allotment.  It helped me calculate my BMR and an allotment to allow me to lose weight at a safe rate, which we (the app and I) decided was a pound a week.  So this translates to about 1700 calories a day.  Of course, this still fits in with intermittent fasting, but I do the fasting more because I find that if I eat at work, I want to fall asleep.  So I don't eat at work, I fall asleep after work, and when I wake up, 16 hours are gone.  1700 calories for 8 hours is no problem.

After I finished my half-marathon almost a month ago, I've also been exercising about 5-6 days a week.  I've been alternating between the treadmill and the recumbent bicycle.  I've also added in some resistance/strength training on the treadmill days, since I tend to spend more time pedaling than walking.  I give myself one day of total rest, usually on the last day of my work week as I adjust back to a daytime schedule. I may do a second day if I feel too tired or achy, as I did the other day when I felt sore and exhausted.

So you think with all of this, I'd have made some mad progress, right?

My scale says No.  My scale had me lose 5 lbs, but then gain 8 lbs.  So I'm up 3 lbs. overall.

Mind you, my psychiatrist's scale has me down 3 lbs. since I started the topiramate.  He (and I) were hoping for more than that, but in his words, "between losing 3 lbs. and gaining 3 lbs., I'll take the loss."  He tweaked the dose a bit more.

But that isn't what got me thinking that it might be my thyroid.  It's the cold.

Being from the Northeast, I'm used to cold.  I love cold.  I dream about snow and rain.  I get excited whenever I see clouds in the sky.  Hell, I consider it a beautiful day if I can't see my shadow.

Except that as of late, I feel like I'm freezing.  It's only 60 degrees, but I'm freezing.  I'm turning on the heat, to the other half's surprise.  I'm wearing my coat at work, to everyone's surprise.

The other half says, "it's not so bad out."

"I'm taking your sweatshirt then."

This is not like me, to be stealing sweatshirts and wanting to go around with a space heater.

I have an appointment next week with my PCP to have my blood pressure medication follow up.  I already messaged about having my thyroid tested.  My PCP is away until the end of the week, but hopefully she'll agree we should rule out any problems.

And if it's not the thyroid, then I guess I finally acclimated to the Southern California climate.