April 22, 2018

Laissez les bons temps rouler

I've been trying to take a more laid back attitude towards things at work.  There's been some changes I'm dealing with, as well as other possible changes coming down the pike that may or may not affect me.  Now, regular readers (all 2 of you) know I have major anxiety issues that I'm been working on for years.  My regular medications have helped considerably.  I've been using a lot of mental tricks that I've learned to try to relax and deal.  Writing about what is making me anxious also helps.  So does the occasional alprazolam, though I save that for when the tricks and writing fail me.

For the most part, the anxiety issues have improved, but I have weak moments when the anxiety can and does overwhelm me. 

So instead of working myself up into a worried frenzy over what might happen--especially when it might not--I decided that I am just going to roll with things the best that I can.  For the most part, work has been good times, so may they continue to roll and I roll along with it.

I guess it's a modified Serenity Prayer, Cajun style. Le Bon Dieu would approve.

I am finally able to use that treadmill I purchased.  I'm making an effort to put in at least 30 minutes on it before work each day.  It's still mostly walking with some occasional running, but I'm improving.

I've been lurking on a couple of WGU support groups online, one for the general school and one for BSN/MSN students.   I see people in both groups complaining (maybe not the best word but it'll do) about how hard some of the assignments are and how tough the instructors are being on said assignments.  It's reassuring to see this.  At least I know that I'm going to have to work for my MSN kibble.

Albeit 3.0 kibble.  I'm still adjusting to that.  Remember that my lowest nursing school GPA was 3.93.  So to go from that to knowing I'm going to get a 3.0 no matter how hard I work is a bit of a paradigm shift.  But then again, at this point in the game, does the GPA really matter anymore?  It only does is I decide to pursue a PhD or post-masters.  And even then, lots of WGU students go on to get even higher degrees than a MSN.