May 1, 2018

Scholarships

I am now 60 days out from starting the MSN program.  This means I can apply for WGU scholarships.  I started the general application but haven't finished it, because once I finish the general application, I then have to submit the scholarship-specific applications within 5 business days.   There are 2 I am definitely eligible for, and possibly 1 or 2 more that I could qualify for.

I also found out about a scholarship through work that I would be eligible for.  I have 60 days to apply for that as well.

The reality is that I will not qualify for any need-based scholarships.  Fortunately, tuition reimbursement from work will cover almost half of the tuition, though it's I pay the school first and work reimburses me later.  I do not plan to take out any loans either.  I have a tiny savings account I had started way back when to fund graduate school, and my first term's tuition is almost covered, and I plan to increase my contributions so every 6 months, it will have almost if not all the next term's tuition.   Though if necessary, I will go the ramen route.  My doctor will hate me for that...she's already going to be cross me with me when I go for my annual physical tomorrow.  She won't want to hear that I will be living off of ramen for the next 12-18 months.

Therefore, the scholarships I must stalk are either based on merit or on my hitting whatever wickets I need to in order to meet the scholarship's criteria (e.g., gender, ethnicity, area of study, professional organization, can I do the tango, etc.).  And of course, on how well I can sell myself to the scholarship committees.  So I need to stack the deck as much as I can.

I signed up a for a scholarship writing workshop through work.  It will supposedly teach me the tips and tricks I need to write an effective scholarship application.  I will also be able to get their assistance in completing applications, so what I plan to do is take the WGU and the work scholarship applications with me and see what magic the course facilitators can help me work.

I'm actually eager to get things started, and for a brief moment, I thought about moving the start date up to June 1st.  But if I wait until July 1, I'll have the full tuition for the first term in my savings account.  Also, June is going to be a hectic month and I don't want to have to juggle starting graduate school around everything.