May 10, 2010

Updates to the maternal situation

Long time, no post, I know...

My mother apologized the next day. This was the first time in my 30+ years on this planet that I can ever remember her apologizing for something she did and that [U]wasn't[/U] done in a sarcastic manner. My first thought when she said that was "who died?" Of course, after the apology--for which I made sure NOT to say "oh, it's all right" because it wasn't--she immediately proceeded to lecture me about not calling. Oh well, I guess since this is the best I'll get from her I'll take it.

I decided to call her out of the blue three days later to tell her about the little one's kindergarten registration experience. She was delighted and only lectured me for about half the call. She called me three days later and didn't say a word about call frequency. And so it's been going. Now we're talking roughly every 3-4 days. She's been careful not to attack me about not calling enough. In turn, I'm making the effort to actually call by day 4 if she hasn't.

I did mail the Mothers' Day card, and instead of flowers, I sent my dad money towards their getaway weekend that he had surprised her with. She started in with the "you shouldn't have" (and gifts with her, both given and received, are the subject of a whole other post) and I told her that I didn't have to and that she should just accept the gift gracefully. Hopefully they are having fun.

I think she's started to realize that what she wants, the daily calls an bestest-friends-forever relationship, are not going to be happening any time soon...so she should be happy with what relationship we do have. Besides, given time and healing, it may grow. It may not. I promise nothing, but I am optimistic.

In nursing news...the new lesson learned was that if you are drunk, you can not have a seizure...despite my patient's best efforts to "have" one. Once she learned that Librium was not forthcoming until her BAC dropped to an acceptable level, she had an immediate improvement in her condition and left AMA. This night also was the first time that I had to interrupt an assesment due to patient vomiting.