November 5, 2013

Ow

As the first days of the rest of my life play out, I started doing an exercise workout:  Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred.  Tagline is that I can lose up to 20 pounds in 30 days.  Now, the nurse in me knows that losing 20 pounds in 30 days is a.  not necessarily safe, and b.  not likely to last for the long haul.  I'll settle for losing 5 pounds in 30 days.

This is a short yet intense 20 minute workout.  I need nothing but the DVD, a workout mat, hand weights (which I didn't have until today, but I didn't let that stop me), sneakers, and 25 minutes to allow for a little warm up and cool-down.  Little one #2 providing commentary optional.

I opted for the easiest workout level and followed the modifications for beginners ("If you feel like you're going to die, follow Anita").  It was TOUGH.  Seriously.  I would have wimped out and burned the DVD if it was going to be any longer than 20 minutes.  I was so sore that I needed three days and plenty of ibuprofen to recover...and mental note to myself:  do not attempt a new workout before working inpatient.

I wasn't entirely ow-free when I did the workout the second time, but I also knew that if I didn't get back in the saddle as soon as I could, it'd just get harder and harder.  So on day three, I did the workout again.  The second time went a little easier, and I wasn't quite as sore.  I didn't need as much Motrin.

Since I was feeling a little better after this workout, I waited two days and did it again.  The workout is getting easier.  Yes, I still feel sore.

Anyhow, the rate I'm going, it's going to take me about 90 days.  Thank God I didn't opt for Power 90X.  That might have taken me half the year.