September 22, 2015

The saga begins...

I applied for a permanent position.  It was not at any of my current facilities, but an entirely different facility.  And I didn't apply for a psych position, but instead for a new specialty training program.  The training would be in med-surg and tele.  It's 3 12s, which would let me keep my position at Job #1 a per-diem basis.  It's also nights, which is perfect.

So I brushed up the resume, wrote a great cover letter, and applied online.

I don't know what my chances are...apparently the position has been up for a while, so who knows if there are multiple positions, if it/they have been filled already, or if it's just a resume collector.  It's also a union facility, so internal hires get first dibs.  Still, I did get into a hardcore union facility before...it'll just be tougher this time as I don't have anyone on the inside to vouch for me.

We'll see what happens.

Meanwhile, I signed up for a Spanish for Healthcare Providers class.  Lately I've been assigned to a Spanish-speaking patient.  Surprisingly, I manage all right:  I can't really speak Spanish, and I don't understand every word the patient says, but I catch enough of them to have an idea of what's going on...some of the time.