December 11, 2015

The day after

I did not sleep well all night.  I kept expecting to see him around, in the kitchen making a sandwich, in the living room watching television...

Today, my sister and I drove to the middle of New York State to take care of some business with Dad's side of the family, on behalf of Mom.  It went smoothly, then they wanted to go to the local pub to toast his memory.  Of course we wouldn't say No, so off we went.  His friends joined us, and we learned lots of new things about our father.  It was a nice distraction.

This was also the very first road trip that my sister and I ever took together.  We're so unalike that we never got around to doing these things because we had no interest.  We're so unalike that we had to laugh when the security guard at the hospital referred to us as The Twins when he called to our father's floor to authorize our visit.  She is a blue-eyed tan blonde, whereas I'm pale with dark hair and eyes.  He also couldn't tell which one of us was older, and we responded that we weren't telling.

For the record, it's me.

But the road trip with her went very well, and it was nice.  We really got to talk about a lot of things, including Dad.

In some nursing news, I got an interview for an ED training program that I applied to.  It was a long shot--not the longest shot, but I didn't think I'd be considered.   But consider me they did, so I go during the week to interview with the nurse manager.  I go straight from work to there, so I have to bring a change of clothing and some resumes.