December 14, 2015

The ED Interview

I'm back home.  Still adjusting to a world in which my father isn't physically here anymore...it's tough.

So let me tell you about my ED interview.

I had an interview for the ED training program today.  The interviewer was intrigued to see someone coming strictly from psych into emergency.  I explained that while I enjoyed psych immensely, I wanted a change; I wanted a position where I could do something different yet still use psych a lot, and the ED seemed to be a good transition.  I was asked the usual "how do you handle difficult..." questions, where I saw myself in 5 years, strengths and weaknesses, long-term goals...I thought I sold myself pretty well in that area.

My major strike against me is the fact that in terms of acute care medical skills, I don't have a lot of experience. So I told her about the ED nursing class I just took, my preceptorship (she knows my instructor, which is a plus amid the minus), and the fact that I learn and adapt quickly.  I can't say I was as confident about my sell in that area, but let's be real:  I can't (well, honestly, anyway) manufacture experience that I don't have.

She is going to call some references and let me know either way within a week or so.  So at least I will be put out of my misery quickly.

I have not yet heard back on the psych-medical application.

While I'm waiting, I need to weigh the positives and negatives of the position.

Positives:  new experience; diversification; gives me more career opportunities; challenging; opportunities for continuing education and cross-training; world's easiest commute; 3 12s means I can work or 2 days elsewhere.

Negatives:  salary decrease as I'm going from experienced in psych to novice in ED (though the night differential will mitigate some of that); steep learning curve; will not be able to work psych at the organization as it would be OT (I could still work psych elsewhere); won't be working with a great crew anymore; despite wanting a change, I'm nervous about leaving my comfort zone.

And another negative:  the other half is apprehensive.

I asked for his opinion...mind you, whatever that opinion is won't be the sole factor that determines whether I take the job.  But we're a partnership and his point of view does matter to me.

He feels that I have a lot of opportunities in psych and while is supportive of whatever I want to do with my career, he is worries about the learning curve and the finances.  He also thinks it's not a full-time job.  I attempted to explain--several times--that I would not take a position that would not be financially feasible, that it is in fact a full-time paying position albeit at a slightly smaller rate, and that with any change in specialty there is going to be some learning curve.

But he seems unconvinced.  In fact, I get the vibe from him that he rather I DIDN'T go for ED and instead stick with what I know at the better money.  But what he doesn't realize--and which I just realized and need to remind him of--is that I'm making good money because I'm a per-diem.  If I were to take a full-time job in psych, my rate would drop...in fact, I'd be making only $4 more than if I took the ED position.  It's the shift differentials that are going to help--hence why I'm only applying for nights.

Anyhow, the discussion descended into a tiff, so things are a little tense.

*sigh*

We'll just have to see what happens.  Of course, I may not even get the ED job and then there won't be any worries.