July 12, 2018

Oh well

I wasn't selected for one of the scholarships at work.  I received my rejection letter today.

I admit that I'm bummed because I thought I had a really good chance at it.  I worked hard, sent it in for revisions, seriously considered and where applicable incorporated the feedback from one of the review committee members.  I'm going to presume that my manager spoke well of me when she sent in the recommendation form.  So I was rather optimistic that I might get one. 

But as I've posted on the nursing forum, if there's only 5 slots but 25 equally qualified applicants, 20 of them will still have to leave empty-handed.  I can only guess (hope?) that I was one of those 20 that would also have had a scholarship had there been 25 to give.

In reality, I don't know how many scholarships were up for grabs...I'll know soon enough when they announce the recipients.

There is always next year's scholarships, though next year, I'll use a different person for the managerial reference.  Just in case.

Though I have to remind myself that even with this loss, I'm still rather ahead of the game in terms of finances.  My tuition reimbursement should cover nearly half of the tuition costs.  I'm still holding out hope for a WGU scholarship which would only be a few hundred each term, but it's still something.  And thanks to planning and creative budgeting, I am 99.9% certain that I will not have to take out any student loans.  I'll be graduating without any debt. 

Going to mope about this for a little bit, and then get back to studying.