November 5, 2018

Administrative randomness

I finished Nursing Informatics.  It was like pulling teeth, but I did it.  I'm now on the final course of the term:  Nursing Leadership.  My term ends December 31, but I'm planning to have this course wrapped up by December 10 so I can enjoy the holidays without the spectre of a performance assessment looming over me.

After Informatics, Leadership is a refreshing change of pace.  It's also arriving at an interesting time.

There's been some managerial turnover here.  Nothing horrible:  people moving on to bigger and better things.  There is a possibility of an administrative position opening up, not immediately, but probably within a few weeks or so.  It would be the same position that I had considered applying for in the past but declined. 

This time around, I think I would seriously consider applying for it.  Well, first of all, it would have to be a NOC position.  If it's not NOC, it's not even in the realm of possibility.  And in all honesty, the odds are it won't be a NOC position.  But there's a chance it could be, and given that I happen to be taking Nursing Leadership, let me entertain such chance.

I've been weighing the pros and cons of going to administration. 

Pro:  consistency.  We can't seem to keep a consistent admin around on nights and we are pretty much left to fend for ourselves.  We do have an advanced nurse who we pretty much consider our unofficial leader--so much so that if she had decided to apply for said position, I'd immediately withdraw and throw my support behind her.  We were promised some occasional visits from management during the night and they lasted...for a while. Then they disappeared. I don't know if they didn't think we'd notice...I did and actually mentioned it to someone.

So yeah, having someone from admin consistently around would be nice. And if it's got to be me to get that consistency, fine.

Pro:  career advancement.  It's more solid administrative/management experience.

Con:  pay cut, a drastic one at that.  Like $10-20/hr.  Being the main breadwinner at home, finances are very important in the equation.  I'm not out to make bank, but I do need to make enough to keep the status quo. 

Con:  schedule change.  I like my current schedule.  Not only will I lose it, I'll have to add on an extra day. 

Pro:  support of my coworkers.  Most of them thought I should have applied the first time around...a few thought I had.  So at least they're not opposed to seeing me in this position.

Con:  relationship shift.  It's going to go from me and coworkers to me supervising coworkers.  The dynamic will change...it has to change by nature.  I have good relationships with my coworkers--as far as I know, none want to kill me--but would those relationships survive the change?

Con: less time on the floor.  More time as charge nurse.  I like the floor.  I like direct patient care.

Pro:  opportunity for personal and professional growth as I go out of my comfort zone.

Con:  having to interview.  Fear of being rejected and not getting the job.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Anyhow, it's not as simple as counting the number of each, seeing which side wins and then deciding based on that.  There's a lot more depth to the decision than that.

Of course, this position might not get posted at all, or not be posted for nights, and then it's all a moot point.

I've decided to keep my own counsel on this and not mention it to anyone at work until necessary.  I may need to ask someone to be a reference.  I will definitely take advantage of WGU's career center to get the resume and cover letter polished up.