October 13, 2009

Puttering along

Two days off in a row is nice.  OK, I am the first to admit that my current schedule is 97% my doing, and if there's anyone to blame for not getting two consecutive days off, it's myself.  But a shift swap at my director's request has resulted in the last two days being free, so I've been catching up on sleep (well, trying to), reading some non-nursing books and cleaning a bit here and there.

I'm not usually a fan of "chick lit", but for some reason I've been inspired to read them lately.  The nice thing about them is that they're fast reads:  for example, I went through Confessions of a Shopaholic in about three hours, and I'll probably read The Devil Wears Prada and At The King's Summons at the same rate.  I'm also on an Amish tear, so I've been reading a few factual books about their society.  Don't ask me why or how I get into certain subjects that I feel compelled to read up as much as I can on them.  I'm not sure how it works myself.

I've been on the detox unit for a few straight days, which is helpful as I get to be able to put faces to names as well as to their conditions, and I can see the progress or lack thereof over time.   Mind you, the variety of going to other units is nice too, especially since detox can be such a hectic place--with the exception of the intensive care unit, the other units generally tend to run less intense as far as meds and paperwork goes.  On the up side, the atmosphere is a bit more smooth on detox, at least I think it is.  They're all walkie-talkies, there's minimal psychosis, and the days are far more structured.  It has its moments, true...so do all of them.

So the new fridge is great--it actually keeps food cold.  Next paycheck will go towards new towels and sheets.  We've decided that whatever is left over from my check after all bills and expenses are covered should go towards doing things around or getting things for the house.  You know, the stuff that we keep saying we'll do but never get around to doing because of time and/or cost, such as window screens, getting rid of ratty towels, fixing the AC, etc.

The endocrinologist drew blood for more specific thyroid tests.  I should know something in a week...at least I've started losing some more weight though.  I'm down nearly 6 lbs since starting Weight Watchers.  The only problem:  I forget to eat while at work...which is actually not a good thing.