January 13, 2010

Let's play "Name that Psychaitric Drug!"

I'm getting a handle on the drugs...I know most of the detox ones (wonder why?), the benzos (again, wonder why?)and several of the common psychosis ones, and I can usually see the generic/brand name and know what the other one is...but I don't have the drugs down as cold as I'd like to.  I really want to know exactly what they are used for and why.  Also, I know nearly nothing about the ADHD/stimulant or other medications. 

So I decided to go "back to school" a bit and do some self-study.  I will take one drug a day (OK, every few days) and take 10-15 minutes to review it.  Basically, I want to be able to know off the top of my head generic/brand name, uses, general dosing range, how to give it, when to/not to give it, side effects and what type of cheese it would go best with.  After all, I don't want to be giving the right med with the wrong Cheddar.  Maybe I'll really go back to school and make up a flash card for it.

Meanwhile, statistics promises to be interesting.  I have to write a paper (!) for it.  On what in God's green earth am I going to have to write a paper about for a math class?!?