July 3, 2013

Resisting temptation

So almost all of my patients were paranoid and delusional.  Some of the delusions were so outrageous that it was hard for me to keep a straight face, but keep it I did.  These delusions are very real to each patient and me showing visible amusement would be both untherapeutic and insulting.  So I take them seriously.  I can decompress after hours.

I seem to be doing well with the agency work so far.  It's all coming back to me.  I go back next week provided I'm not cancelled.  I may not be given how few agency nurses I'm seeing on the scene, but we shall see.

I was offered hours today at my main job.  As tempting as it was, I declined.  First of all, I have some appointments today that I'm tending to.  I could have rescheduled them but I need to get them done with before we go on vacation.

Second...I've worked one day this week, and I will be working Friday.  I didn't want to take a third day.   I really want to keep working to two days a week so I can be there for little one #2, as well as little one #1 during the summer so he doesn't have to go into summer care every day.  I may make occasional exceptions, but I don't want to routinely take a third day because before I know it, I'm working three days a week, then four days a week.  Then soon I'm working full-time when I don't really want to be. 

So I said No, even though it would have been easy money.  But I'm glad I did.  I had my first appointment over and done with.  Now I'm hanging out with little one #2 and catching up on a few things at home.  It's nice.