August 13, 2013

And so it begins...

The class instructors have decided that since so many of us purchased the old (and apparently incorrect) textbook, that they will upload whatever chapters of the new (and apparently correct) textbook so people do not have to rent or purchase the new book.  They're going to go between both books.  Of course, this comes after I have already rented the new book, which will arrive here today.

So I ended up not getting anything done for class yesterday as the announcement came through Blackboard while I was at work.  By the time I got home, we had to go right to the little one #1's school.  By the time we were done for that, it was dinner and then collapsing--I started reading and fell asleep on page 4.

Yup.  Not cancelled for a change.   And I'm guaranteed hours at my main job on Friday, so I've hit my goal for this week.

To be honest, with all of the cancellations, I've started to get into the mentality of expecting NOT to go in and planning my days accordingly.  I wouldn't schedule anything in stone, just make lists of things that I needed to do and loose plans that could easily be changed or cancelled.  So I had figured that yesterday would be the same way...but I got the "come on in, you're needed" call.

It was an...interesting...day.  More colorful than usual.  That's all I can say without running afoul of HIPAA, so you know it had to be a doozy.

Anyway, near the end of the day there, I was chatting with another agency nurse.  She said something interesting that made me think.  She believes that at times, she gets cancelled because the agency is "punishing" her for canceling on them.  She stated that she called out once for illness and was cancelled for about a week and a half.

So it got me to wondering...how are cancellations really determined?  Does the facility decide who they want, or does the agency decide who they're going to get?  And if it's the agency, how do they decide? Do they rotate the cancellations so its fair?  Do they go by seniority and cancel the new nurses?  Do they go by who scheduled first and cancel those who signed up later?  Do they play favorites?  Or do they take the chance to settle some scores and do a little quid-for-quo?

Of course, this is not a question that I could ever ask my agency...not if I want the honest answer.   Not that I think the worst because I don't.  But I'm sure their cancellation guidelines are not something they're eager to make public knowledge.

I'll admit, my primary job will always get priority because a.  it pays a hell of a lot better, and b.  I really like working there.  I'm proud to be one of their employees and hope to stay there for quite a while.  So if there's ever a conflict between the two facilities, my main job will always win and I'll always cancel on the agency.  If they do not like that, so be it.  But at least I give the agency the courtesy of canceling as soon as possible; whereas I get the news from them about being cancelled two hours before I'm supposed to go in.  And it does get tiresome at times waking up at 0400 for what turns out to be no good reason.

But I knew that was the deal with being an agency nurse from day 1--I was under no delusion that it would be otherwise.  So I accept it as fair.  I don't always have to be fine with it, but I accept it.  They're not doing anything wrong.

Oh well.

Haven't heard back from the hospital that I shot my resume off to on Friday...I'm trying to remember that the job hunt is not an instantaneous process, just like I tell people at the forum.  I figure if I hear nothing this week, next week I'll go in person to complete an application.

Now off to start reading for Vulnerable Populations.