April 22, 2017

My weight loss stalled.  I'm not gaining though, which is a good thing.  But I'm holding steady at the 20-21 lb mark.  My shift in sleeping schedule--and thus my shift in and laxity of intermittent fasting and what I'm eating--is probably the reason behind it.   Plus Easter chocolates.  I've improved on the wake-up bag of Doritos though I did have one this afternoon...I was a charge nurse last night, it was a wild night, what can I say?  My soul craved Salsa Verde.

I'm sure once I'm back on my usual schedule and meal plan, the loss will resume.  I need to get back into exercising as well.

Work has been...work.  I thought about calling out tonight or at least requesting a cancellation.  But given that both the little one and I will have various medical expenses coming up, it's better if I work and get my full pay with weekend diffs than just the PTO at my base rate.

I successfully started 2 IVs in the last couple of weeks, bringing my EVAA (estimated vascular access average) up to around .300.

Acuity has been high on every unit since before the full moon.  There are lots of little changes going on to help prepare us for various site visits.   New staff are going to be starting soon, including a new grad (someone who wanted into psych, no less!), so there's been some shuffling around of who is working what unit, who will be doing what, and what schedules will be changing.

Come to think of it, that shuffling has been happening for a while.  It seems like TPTB are into floating staff around and people are working where they usually don't.  I think part of this is due to new staff coming on board, as well as the budget--they want to fill in the coverage gaps so they don't have to pay people to stay late or come in on OT.

I'm eyeing all of this with a little apprehension and concern.  I thoroughly enjoy where I work and I don't have plans to leave anytime soon.  I'm glad to have new staff come on board.  It'll be nice to have staff more evenly spread so there's fewer gaps.  I'm excited we have a new grad that appears to be want to be here and not just wanting to get their mandatory first year over with to leave for more medical pastures.

But I also wonder with all this shuffling, where I will fit in.  Yes, I know some of this is my well-known (well-known if you've read this blog anyway) anxiety/insecurity.  I know the union means they can't just fire me without cause.  I know they can't change my schedule without my consent.  But I'm hardly on my home unit as it is, so I wonder where I'm going to be stashed with all of these changes...especially since some of this new staff is coming to my home unit.

I'm trying to be Zen about it and take a "wait and see" approach.  See what's going to happen to me--if anything--before I make my concerns known to the TPTB.   It could be that I'm getting rattled over nothing, and everything will be the same as before or better.  Or not.