May 25, 2018

And...

Good news:  the results are negative.

I hadn't been around for a bit because we were short at work, so I was dealing with that.  I was also coming down with something...not sure what it was as I had no symptoms but an incredible urge to sleep a lot.  Plus I decided that I needed to try and stay away from Dr. Google, lest I go down every rabbit hole I find.

So...

During the mammogram, they spotted the growth in the left breast.  OK, I know about that.  But then they became very interested in something spotted in the right breast.  The breast that my PCP felt and didn't find anything in. And they reminded me that I have very dense breast tissue, which can make spotting things difficult.  I'm not sure if that was meant to reassure me, because it damn well didn't.


Then to ultrasound.  The technician finds both critters.  Left growth:  4mm.  Right growth:  7mm.  She doesn't seem too concerned so I try to relax.  Then again, she's not the doctor reading it.  Speaking of which, the doctor reads both, but I'm told nothing.  So I go home.  OK, I'll read about it later. 


That evening, I check my patient portal to see if the results are up yet, since my PCP is pretty good about posting things same day.  And I'm thinking that if there was a problem, they would have told me ASAP, or had my PCP tell me ASAP.  But they didn't so everything must be OK, right?


No results posted.  And I checked like a madwoman all weekend but still, nothing.  At one point, a coworker advised me to take the medical app off my phone because that wasn't going to make the results appear over the weekend.  So I decide to Google things...and yeah, that wasn't a good idea.  After a day-plus of torturing myself with every worst possible scenario, I decided that I needed to shut the computer--and app--down and focus on the task at hand:  work. 

The results were up Monday morning.  Both are enlarged lymph nodes and both appear benign.  Thanks for playing, see you next year.  I guess they're just going to monitor it yearly.  I'm relieved...until I Google what enlarged lymph nodes mean.  And back down the rabbit holes I go, but I managed to break away from Googling it after half a day.


Please, for the love of Doritos, if you are waiting on any diagnostic test results, step away from the computer and try (I know, easier said than done) to wait for the official word from your PCP!!!