May 17, 2018

Well, I guess I'm committed now

I paid my first tuition bill.  In full.  This will take me through the end of the year.

School still doesn't start until July 1.  Orientation will be during the second half of June.  In the meantime, I'm lurking on some WGU support groups, both general and nursing-specific.  I'm also getting some necessary supplies:  PERRLA and Grammarly.  I heard that both are invaluable when it comes to APA and writing at the graduate level.

I also told my manager.  I had to:  I'm applying for that work scholarship because I found out that nursing education students were in fact eligible.  Part of the application process is a recommendation letter from my manager.  She already submitted it, so now I have to do my part.  I also need to approach someone else about my recommendation letter for the WGU scholarships.  I think I'll ask the director and see if she'll do it.  If not, I have a few other candidates in mind.

The scholarship writing workshop I was supposed to do this week was cancelled and rescheduled for next week.  Right after that class, I'll finish off my scholarship applications--this one as well as the WGU ones--and submit them.  Then we wait and see.

I'm getting kind of excited here.

In all, two people now know about my graduate school plans:  my manager, and a coworker who is in an online NP program.  He's half my age...yeah, I feel old.  I told him one night in between giving patients IMs...yeah, that was a bad night.  It was nice to talk to someone who is also going to school online.  He gets what I'll be going through.  And he's heard of WGU and it's been nothing but good things.  I asked him to keep it on the QT for now, and he has. 

Now that my manager knows, I wonder if it will get out.  I didn't ask her to keep it quiet, so if she were to share the news, I suppose she wouldn't be in the wrong.  Still, I don't think I'm ready to make a full-on announcement about it to everyone.  I'm still not sure why I feel this way.  Though if I did manage to win one of the work scholarships, it will become public knowledge like it or not.