May 2, 2018

In which Meriwhen...*sigh*

Got back from my annual physical.  My PCP wasn't as cross with me as I thought she'd be.  I need to lose weight, yes.  But she's happy that my labs are in her words "stone cold perfect."  She's also happy to hear that I'm up to working out 4 times a week.  She'd still rather see me doing it 5 times a week...I'm getting there.

And there's another breast lump.  The clinical summary form describes it as "breast mass."  I prefer calling it a lump as it sounds more benign.

I admit that I'm horrible about doing monthly breast exams because the only 2 times that I've done it, I found lumps that were later surgically removed.  I told her it was a stupid superstition, but I've been scared to do them since.  And in the almost 19 years since the 2nd was removed, no provider has found anything to be concerned about.  Until today.

The first words out of my mouth were, "it's always the left [breast]."

So I now have to go for a diagnostic mammogram, which is apparently different from a regular mammogram and may not be covered by insurance.  But I need to get it so I'll worry about the cost later.  And it'll be followed up with an ultrasound.  They were able to schedule it pretty fast:  within 2 weeks.  And because of the EMR, I'll be able to know the results very quickly.

I told the other half today...I thought about waiting until I get the tests done, but then realized that I'd have no way to explain any unexpected stress or anxiety that I would be going through while I'm waiting.  The first words out of his mouth were, "this is the 3rd time."  I guess we're both a little too used to going through this.