April 15, 2012

Happy Tax Day

I have not yet received my tax refund...it was supposed to be in on the 13th. I'm going to give it a week, then I'm calling the accountant to make sure he filed. We used a tax preparation agency--we always have, and trust me, it is worth every cent and then some.

I think our case was a little overwhelming to the preparer, who was probably expecting a straightforward filing...and to be honest, he was nice but not the sharpest crayon in the box. Nice, we are, but simple we are not: we're military with time in a war zone, three separate states (I do not share my spouse's state of residency), renting a house, purchasing a house, relocation, childcare, work expenses (me) plus my attending three schools in one year (two concurrently). We always come well-prepared for these thing so we had all our receipts and everything organized to a T. It's usually a 2-3 hour process.

But it was still too much for the guy...at one point he was kicking the trash can and saying, "I can't take this!" He needed two coworkers to help him get through it.

Heh. Mental note: don't use that particular branch office next year.

My rash is now down the dry and flaking skin stage. Still stings, especially when I smile, frown and move my face in any way, shape or form. I've found that mixing some oatmeal and cold cream (whipping, not Pond's) together, then applying it as a poultice has helped relieve the redness and discomfort immensely. Plus my skin smells so buttery, almost cookie-like.

I slogged through the rest of this week's assignments for school, then started downloading next week's notes and readings. The deadline for my assessments is Wednesday so I need to work on the guinea pig...er, better half, on Tuesday, since writing the bloody things up consumes so much time and effort. Also, I should be orienting at the new facility this week but the exact dates and times are still not definite, so let me do whatever I can to stay ahead of things.

I have to say I don't like taking two nursing classes concurrently. I'm learning and (so far) doing well, but I feel like I'm still missing things from each class. I'd rather take them individually and lose myself in each class, and really get all I can out of it. But it's too late to fix that...I'm making the best of it though.