December 1, 2012

So I bombed my third history test

Well, I didn't fail:  I got a 76.  But I earned that 76 because I didn't really study for the test.  I tried to, but over the last few days, every single time I whipped out my notes to study, I fell asleep.  I swear, these notes were a better sleep aid than my old med-surg textbook.

It also didn't help that the last two weeks at work were hectic:  both resulted in OT.  Actually, the whole month was straight 5-day work weeks because I was covering in not one but two programs.  I did have pockets of downtime so I was able to do some schoolwork at work.  But I would get home from work exhausted, cook (or usually order) dinner, help the little one with his homework, pass out, and wake up at 0-dark-30 to do it all over again.  All while doing this with sciatic pain which--thank God--has eased over the last week, to be replaced by a new pain that at least lets me walk.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

All weekends were spent doing family stuff, trying to rest, and trying to stay abreast of schoolwork.  Last weekend, I was too busy catching up on rest to get a jump on any assignments or even the reading.  I was too tired to do anything except sleep...and that is even a challenge thanks to being nearly 7 months pregnant.  I can't recall the last time I slept through the night...I know, I know, it's preparation for when the baby does arrive.  So I'm not entirely worked up over not sleeping well.  But that plus work plus school makes life hard.

After this month, I am really grateful that I withdrew from the other class.  I think that REALLY would have done me in.

Anyhow, the history test was due today and I kept trying to study this morning without success (but with one nap), until I just accepted the fact that it's just not happening.  I figured that I better just go take this test, get it over with, and let the chips fall where they may.  And they fell on 76.   When I clicked "start test" I accepted there was a risk I'd muff this test and I was OK with that...but I am still a bit disappointed because you know 76s on tests is not how I roll.

The overall desired grade of B is in no danger at this time, as long as this is my only misstep.  I do worry a bit as there's a group project coming up that could do some major damage, especially since I don't seem to be part of a very enthusiastic group.  An A is still very much possible, but I'm trying not to stress over that.  I keep reminding myself that the world will not end if I get a B.

Fortunately for me, my health and my academia, work will be easing up:  starting this week I revert back to my three afternoons a week.  I also plan to take off a good portion of time around the holidays to enjoy them and the family coming to visit.