August 3, 2012

Clothing and work issues

Classes finished.  Two As.  Talked to my advisor and I'm still on schedule to graduate in May.  Next class starts in 10 days, so I'm enjoying every minute of this time off while I can:  I'm sleeping a lot.

So I've been offered the chance to pick up more work in outpatient, as one of the nurses is going on extended medical leave.  I was offered three days a week.  I was supposed to start today...and I've already been cancelled due to a low census.  That is the nature of the per-diem beast, so I can't get too annoyed.

I can be a little annoyed though since those are days that I can be filling with inpatient work. So I told the manager that I'm cool with it if she has to call me off due to low census, but would really prefer to be called off the day before, so I could call my agency and pick up an inpatient shift on that day.

She had offered me a partial shift due to the short cancellation notice, but I declined it.  I decided I needed a day off to get some shopping done for the little one.  He apparently shot up overnight.  Still very skinny, but very tall...think J.J. from Good Times, but as a 7-year old blond.  Clothing shopping for him can be a challenge.

So can clothing shopping be for me, at least right now.  I'm 10 weeks into this pregnancy, and while my weight has been stable--actually, today I am down one pound from my starting weight--the waist is starting to thicken.  So far most pants are still working; shorts, not so much.  While I'm not ready for full-blown maternity gear yet, I did get some pants in a size larger, some panel-less maternity shorts, a couple of larger shirts, and belly bands.  Most of this I can also wear post-partum until I get back to my starting weight.

Fortunately, the expanding chest pushes the shirts out enough that as long as I don't wear clingy or tight fabrics, the expanding belly is still disguised.  Most of my scrub tops are still working for now.

I have my first genetic testing appointment on the 10th, and the procedure on the 13th.  I got a preliminary nutritional assessment...the goal is to gain 10-15 lbs, given my starting weight.  So I'm trying to be very careful about what I eat, to make sure I'm getting enough...especially since when I'm working inpatient lunch when is very hit or miss.  My bloodwork is good, though my pressure is up...so I'm also trying to cut out salts.  Unfortunately, I've been craving Chinese food as of late.

I told the usual ER crew about the pregnancy.  They're all happy for me, but my charge nurse is already pulling me out of the hands-on codes whenever possible.  Not really an issue, I guess...and I guess I'll have to get used to that.

On one hand, I don't want to be treated any differently because of this pregnancy.  And in a way, I want to prove myself, that just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean my performance is going to suffer or that I will have to be coddled.  Let's face it, we all know and have encountered that one:  the little momma-to-be who puts her feet up and does as little as possible while expecting her coworkers to pick up the slack, because after all, she is pregnant and can't do anything more strenuous than lift up the phone.   

That's not me, and I don't want people to think that of me.

On the other hand, it's not just me anymore:  it's me plus one, so wrestling patients down to the ground shouldn't be on the top my to-do list.  I can take a few licks, but the kid can't.  And not all of my patients are happy to be where they are or happy to see me.  Fortunately, hands-on codes are very few and far between, and most patients, while they are not necessarily happy, are usually cooperative enough.

So I'll do my best to help out in a code, but I'll do my best to stay out of the hands-on--if I don't need to be up close and personal, I won't be.

Anyhow, I did ask them to keep it quiet for now because of the genetic testing.

A couple of ego boosts though:  all of the nurses said they would never have guessed I was so far along because I didn't put on any weight.  Also, that male nurse has started the harmless flirting with me again.  So I guess I must still be looking decent enough, even while pregnant.