November 5, 2016

Decisions, decisions

I am involved in a work committee.  I joined when I first became a permanent employee because I wanted to get involved and make an active contribution to the hospital's nursing practice...well, more contributions that my taking care of patients makes.  It's been good.  I've briefly served on other panels and committees, but this committee has really been an in-depth experience.  I'm part of a project that will hopefully lead to a practice culture change on the floor.

The co-chairs are stepping down at the end of the year.  One member has decided to take on the challenge and volunteered.  He started training for the position.  He's still a fairly green nurse--only 2 years in--but he's good at dealing with administration and the PR stuff.  And he's ambitious and driven.

I was asked by one of the current chairs if I would consider being the other co-chair, because they felt I would be a good candidate:  I have several years of experience, I'm certified and I'm relatively sane (she called it "level-headed").  I said I would consider it.  And I still am.  I do have to give an answer either way pretty soon.

On one hand, it would be good for the career, I could get even more involved and have more influence, and it's not forever.   I get on all right with the new co-chair so there wouldn't be any personality conflicts, at least on my part.  I'm also the only representative from nights, though that's no big surprise.  Having to go to a meeting that is scheduled for 2 hours after you get off of work is quite the hassle.  But at least the nights POV will be seriously considered in any of these projects.

On the other hand, it's extra work (albeit paid work), there's a lot of responsibility and duties involved, I would have to be awake during daylight hours more than I'd like, and it's not as though I can't stay involved in things as just a regular member.  I also don't want to deal with administration any more than I have to.  Though the one time I did have to speak to the hospital CEO--in front of a whole room of people, no less--I did a pretty good job.  So my coworkers tell me.

If I could be the co-chair that stays in the background and maintains the machinery, while the other co-chair takes on the role of Suit and Spokesperson of the committee and deals with all the public things that I don't want to deal with, that could work.

I have to think about it.

On an unrelated note, when did my spell-checker decide to go all British English on me?  I know I use a lot of British English phrases, but I do keep the spelling of things American English.