July 24, 2009

Holy ....

Today's job hunt progress: no rejections, no new applications no status changes...and one interview scheduled. It was out of the blue too: the long-shot application I put in at a place because I figured I had nothing to lose. I was going to call them next week to follow-up, but they beat me to it. It's not full-time but PRN, nor is it my first choice field of nursing..but it is one I could get interested in. Plus it's experience, which is priceless. So I've got some time to prepare for it, which will be spent doing my homework on the field as well as looking up interview tips.

I scheduled my training at the clinic for next week...that will be fun. Apparently my foot-in-mouth syndrome didn't hamper me, though that's something I will have to control for my interview. Perhaps I should add that on to my list of things to look up as well?

I was able to get through two books--two non-nursing books, that is--this week: "The First Wives Club" and "The Merry Monarch's Wife." It's nice to be able to read for reading's sake. I mean, I did a lot of reading over the last several years, but it was because I was assigned to read it. It's also nice to read books that have little to do with nursing and don't have diagrams, tables, pictures, charts, and end-of-chapter NCLEX-style questions. Though I was so desperate to have something to read while I was waiting at the auto shop today that I grabbed the only book I had in my car, which happened to be a Kaplan review book, and read that again.

I should really learn to keep a small fun book in my bag for just such emergencies. I used to have one in my car--an autobiography of Margaret Mitchell--but it seems to have gone missing.

Anyhow, I'm not sure what I'm going to read next. I have a book on the real Godfather (whose name I can't recall), "The Loves of Charles II", and "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" within reach, plus too many other books squirreled away in the house. I can't decide which one to grab and start first. And of course, I need keep working on my Sudoku book--I made a promise to myself that this year, I'd complete an entire Sudoku book. That doesn't mean I'll have to get each puzzle right, but that I'll just complete all of them.

Though if I am wise, I'll also start reading some of the nursing journals I've been getting in the mail. Just because I've finished school doesn't mean I should finish learning, especially since soon I'll be busy using--at least in the clinic--what I learned over the last two years.

Oh yeah, the Netflix DVD in question is indeed "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" which I have had out since January 9th, and which will be watched as soon as I log off of the computer.