July 19, 2009

The Routine

I pretty much have the job hunt down to a daily routine:

  • First thing in the morning, log into local hospital website, look at status of applications and then for any new listings
  • Then look through e-mails from job search sites, see if I qualify for any. More often than not...I don't--that damn "1 year experience" requirement
  • Browse around the web at career sites, forums, local company sites, then just surf aimlessly
  • Apply (as applicable) to what jobs I do find
  • Tweak the resume and cover letters
  • Log off and forget about it for a while. Pointless to wait by the phone, as no one's calling. Same with the e-mail, as no one's writing.
  • Repeat the above at three in the afternoon and once more at nine at night
Tough economy for new grads, can't you tell?

I don't know what is more annoying--seeing all of these listings saying "experience required/no new grads/etc." or applying for the few that I can and never hear anything back. Supposedly things are going to open up in the fall...in the meanwhile, I can't sit around and do nothing. I picked up ACLS; I can't afford PALS right now thanks to ACLS. So now I'm off to apply for volunteer work at some local facilities. Hopefully the job market isn't that bad that I get turned away from there as well :)