January 11, 2013

So I ended up leaving work after just 2 hours on Wednesday.  They were all surprised I showed up--the general consensus was that I looked and sounded horrible.  Fair enough, I did try to push myself.

I spent most of Wednesday night and most of Thursday unconscious on various pieces of furniture around the house.  I'd move to one room, take a nap, wake up, move to another room, take a nap, wake up, lather, rinse, repeat.  The cat followed me around the house and parked herself on my leg at each spot.  The little one followed me around the house and would arrange his Star Wars Angry Birds figurines on my belly at each spot.  Good thing for both cat and Angry Birds that I don't move when napping.

Today...I am feeling somewhat better.  At least I can breathe--I have no energy, but I can breathe.  The sinuses seem to have cleared themselves out for the most part.  I still called out for today--actually, I called out yesterday at one point when I was conscious for a bit. Considering I tried on Wednesday to go in--and failed--I figured I really needed some solid rest.  So no more work until sometime next week.

In other news, my sister has volunteered to be in the delivery room with me.  She's very excited about it, actually.  I know she wants to be there for the birth of her nephew, but I think a small part of it has to do with the fact that she's never had a vaginal birth (she's just not structurally built for it--she has the wrong shape of pelvis) and this is probably the closest she'd ever get to the experience.

Truth be told, having had one vaginal birth...I don't think she has missed much.  Lots of frustrating contractions, waiting, and pushing--during which I kept falling asleep--then the lovely discomfort afterwards...I'm half-hoping that this time, I'll need a C-section and just get the whole process over with much faster.

Anyhow, considering that the other half almost passed out during labor and delivery class the first time around (they showed him a picture of a placenta and he went white), it may be safest if he's not there while I'm laboring and she is.  He'd probably pass out and then they'd have two patients to have to tend to.  Poor guy really doesn't do well with anything medical-related.  And for someone who likes horror movies and video games, he can be incredibly squeamish.

So I told him about her offer and he agreed she should go in, saying that someone would have to watch our other little one and it should be him...but there was no mistaking the look of relief on his face.   It's all good though.  I'd rather he not be passing out on me when there won't be much I could do about it.

1 comment:

Kolohe said...

Some guys are just that way. At a first aid training for our logging company a few years ago, there was a bit of a commotion when the training video came to the section on first aid for severe bleeding. One of the guys passed out. So the instructor demonstrated a little bit of first aid on his pt. and then suggested he might want to wait outside the room for that section of training. He explained that it wasn't that uncommon.