November 29, 2011

Bad Meriwhen!

I am so unmotivated to study for this ANCC exam...I pretty much stopped studying. The test is Saturday. I'm not distraught or upset over my actions though...I guess that I've just had so much on my plate the last few months that this exam and what may come of it totally unfazes me. Of course, it helps that no matter what happens on Saturday I'm still an employable RN--it's not as though I'm taking the NCLEX again.

I'm going to try to read my review book but whatever happens happens: I'll go in on Saturday and do the best that I can. In hindsight, I think I should have waited a bit before scheduling it...but I was in such a hurry because I thought having certification would help me in my job hunt out in California. Hindsight is always 20/20, oh well. If I fail, it won't be the most expensive mistake I've made.

I heard from my new grad preceptee. She's doing all right. She moved to night shift, which IMO may be the best thing for her while she learns how to deal with the stress and chaos at the same time she's learning the new grad ropes. I'm glad they were able to move her, I was worried that after I was gone she wouldn't be able to cope and she'd be sacked. She's got potential to be a great nurse but right now is so green that she needs to be working with a strong nurse to guide her.

The better half and I spent this morning at school while the special-ed manager for the district interviewed our son for the before/after school program. At first I was kind of annoyed that we had to meet for an interview, especially given the reports from his teacher about how well he's doing and how high-functioning he is compared with his classmates. I almost started thinking that this interview was their looking for a way to reject him---paranoid, I know :) But the little lamb is special-ed so California's got to do what California's got to do.

During the meeting I was impressed with how thorough they were when it came to planning his after-school care and activities. They wanted to make sure all of his needs were addressed and any necessary accommodations made...fortunately, minimal accommodations are needed. They also stressed that he will benefit from the structure the program has, and I agree: the lamb does better when there's structure. It's hard to provide that at home sometimes, with the better half in the military and me working as a nurse.