January 1, 2012

Connections

Happy 2012.

We discovered a new advantage to being in the Pacific Time Zone: we can watch the ball drop at 9pm. We did that since the little one was up, so he could see the new year ring in, at least in New York City. We also figured that since we saw the ball drop at 9pm we didn't need to stay up until midnight here...guess what we ended up doing. Yup, saw the ball drop yet again.

I use Facebook to keep in touch with my former classmates and coworkers...and to be honest, if it wasn't for that I don't think I'd be in touch with any of them, nor them with me. The few people who I were closest to do call/text/e-mail me and I them. But the rest, it's mostly staying in touch through status updates...and even then, there's two levels of contact. There are the level where we actively interact with each other, and then there's the level where we just watch status updates go by, occasionally throwing out a "like" on a comment or picture.

It's funny how we all promise to "stay in touch" once our ways are about to part, yet usually fail to follow through with it. Not including those who I consider in the "close" category, there's very few people that have stayed in touch with me. And to me honest, I haven't exactly done my share with them either.

All of this doesn't really bother me, as I'm not a person who makes close friends easily anyway. Never was. Just how I was programmed, I guess.

Still, as the New Year turns over, I was reflecting on this. Perhaps I should make a better effort to connect with people and keep in touch. After all, staying in touch is a two-way street: I can't lean back and expect everyone else to do all the work. Then again, for me to try to do that seems strange...and I think they would think it was strange for me too.

Oh well.

Not much planned for today...the advantage of working outpatient is that weekends and holidays are automatically off for me, which took a little getting used to after 2 years of working either/both. We're having a quiet day in watching sports and making homemade spaghetti sauce, though I plan to sneak out later for a 3 mile walk of my own. I am working tomorrow but after that I have no hours scheduled. So I'm taking the rest of the week to get some personal things done and spend quality time with the little one.