January 3, 2012

Tune up

My work week began and ended yesterday because I only got one day this week. No worries though: since the little one is off of school, it means that I can sleep in for the next four days. It also means I can get a lot of my errands done. Plus the little one is ecstatic to have me to himself all week...we already have a special outing planned later in the week for just the two of us.

And I'll admit that I'm kind of glad that I only had to work one day this week because while my job is a lot of fun, it's also the land of Axis II. From what I've read up on as well as what I've experienced at work, personality disorders--particularly borderline and obsessive-compulsive--and eating disorders often run hand-in-hand. Don't get me wrong: I don't mind Axis II patients at all. But after a while, one needs a break from it.

So now that the nurse who I fill in for is back, I don't know what hours I'll be getting. I did tell her to let me know if she needs me as well as let the other outpatient units know that if they need a per-diem I'm available. Meanwhile, I'll keep educating myself on eating disorders. I also brushed up my resume and portfolio, and have started looking around at other facilities for another per-diem job. Haven't applied to anything yet though--I'm kind of passively looking right now.

Truth be told, I'd rather stay in my current company since I really like working there, the company has an excellent reputation, my ID picture isn't too bad, and it would be easier to get a position since I'm already in the system. Then again, having a foot in another door elsewhere may not be a bad thing either.

Anyhow...

I started training for the half-marathon that my friend and I walk every year. It's in March and we follow a 12-week training program that conditions and gradually builds up distance: most days of the week are shorter walks, with only one long walk each week. The problem is that where I used to live back east is relatively flat, and where I live now has lots of hills...so after a week of daily walking including the first week's long walk (3 miles), I've got killer shin and calf soreness. As much as I want to go out and walk right now, I'm making myself take a rest day today. I'll look up some stretching exercises.

I also started tackling the weight more seriously. The nadir happened on Boxing Day, when I stepped on the scale and saw that a 1 joined the 2 in my weight. 210. The last time I was 210 I was eight months' along. No one believes what I weigh: I'm 5'8" and large-framed so I carry it well. But it still has to come off. So I started tracking what I eat through My Fitness Pal, aiming for about 1200 calories a day. The exercise is coming from the half-marathon training. So far so good: I lost 4 lbs. I know not to expect that every week though...I'm aiming for 1.5 to 2 lbs a week.

I do think it's ironic that I've been working in eating disorders and here I am trying to lose weight. Of course, I will say nothing about it to either patients or coworkers. I also find it ironic that almost all of the rest of the staff in the program are on the thin side as well. I don't know if that is by accident or by design.

Need to bring the little one to the dentist today. Also need to make some headway on the sock that I'm knitting.