January 9, 2012

On Ys, borderlines and job applications

I forgot that the YMCA was the mecca for older adults. That's cool though--I'd rather be working out with them than with a crowd that is younger but is more interested in showing off on the machines and trying to pick each other up. Plus it's kind of inspiring to see these older adults work out...some could bench-press me under the table if they wanted to. Anyhow, I had a good workout. I focused all on cardio today. Tomorrow after the treadmill (I plan to walk every time I'm there), I'll try some of the machines.

Get Me Out of Here by Rachel Reiland was a fantastic book. It really shows what it's like to be a borderline from the borderline's point-of-view. The emotions that she writes about are so raw and gripping that I couldn't help but be pulled into her feelings. It helps to explain what drives people with borderline personality disorder and why they behave as they do--and that it's not as simple for them turn their behaviors and feelings off as we as psych nurses wish they could do at times.

Yes, I know that to refer to a patient with borderline (or any other) personality disorder just as "the borderline" (or "the antisocial", "the histrionic", etc.) is not the politically correct term, and for the most part I try not to do that. But when it's shift change and you're giving or getting report from the other nurse--or when you're jotting down thoughts in your blog--it's just more succinct to say "the borderline" or "the borderline in room 2."

Anyhow, to augment that book I took out a couple of more clinical books about borderline and other personality disorders, as well as a book about dialectical behavior therapy, which is one of the more effective treatments for the disorder. Hopefully from this homework I'll have more understanding--as well as more patience--when it comes to dealing with Axis II patients, especially since they often frequent eating disorders and dual diagnosis.

I'm working on the application for the government psych nursing job. I decided to give it a shot--after all, applying for it doesn't commit me to anything. The problem is that the application isn't really a "fill in the blanks" except for the standard government application that everyone has to fill out. Instead, the job application is more of "tell us about yourself and why you would be a good candidate." There's good and bad to that. Good in that I can elaborate on my strengths as well as explain stuff more fully than I would by filling in the blanks. Bad in that I have to get creative so I present like a strong candidate without sounding over the top.

I have until Friday to get it in. The resume is already brushed up, so it's mostly completing the government form and the "Introducing Meriwhen!" advertisement.