January 7, 2012

Getting geared up for school

My under-eye rash is better.

So I've just paid my tuition for the first RN-BSN (take 2) class. I'm a little concerned that a Professional Nursing class requires only a APA guidebook as its textbook, but maybe something will be revealed. I'm guessing that since we're all already nurses we won't need a book outlining every single little about nursing in general. Still...if we do need another book, they better tell us soon so I can order it. I'd write the instructor but their name isn't posted yet.

The last Professional Nursing class I took in a RN-BSN program did require a book...then again, the class itself was a mix of RNs, LVNs and pre-licensure students.

My course map has me graduating in early spring 2013. I will double-up on a few classes, but it'd be a nursing class with a history class. I thought about doubling-up even more to try and finish it faster, so I can have the BSN faster, so I can apply to #1 Hospital faster. Then again, the last couple of years have been a lot on me, with working full-time, going to school, managing the little one and preparing to move across the country. After being forced to downshift after the move, I'm kind of thinking that perhaps a more relaxed pace in my life is called for, at least for a year or so...by then I'll want the insanity back.

This time, I'm not going to stress over the 4.0, simply for the fact that it's impossible for me to get the 4.0: unless I read it wrong, they considered the grades of all the coursework I transferred in, and some of the grades from the BA are not A's. I haven't even taken a class yet and my GPA is apparently a 3.6. If it wasn't for that, I'd shoot for the 4.0...who are we kidding? I'm still going to kill myself for the A's. That's how I'm wired.

Oh well. One more week to relax before I become a RN-BSN student...again.

Picked up a few more shifts at work...some in January, some in February. Also, I found out that the dual PHP wants to orient me so I can per-diem there. The nurse who I fill in for gave me their nurse's number, so I'll call next week.

Finished knitting a pair of socks last night. I'm happy with everything but the cuff--I don't think I should have switched to the larger needle size because they look kind of weird. But they fit well and make good bed-socks...because even out here in the land of sun and palm trees, it dips to the 30s and 40s at night.