August 3, 2009

It's Monday

So I spent the weekend playing with the family, catching up on some movies (I need to get Love at First Bite next because I forgot how absolutely adorable George Hamilton is), working on my website, drinking some fine wine and some not-so-fine wine, and moving this blog from Blogspot to here...though judging by the stats on the blog, I don't think anyone noticed.

I have a job interview this afternoon, so I'm printing up a few copies of the fresh new resume I have and getting my clothing ready.  Like I've said in an earlier post, it's the long-shot place, so I'm not pinning all my hopes on it.  The hours are also not great...but I do intend to go in and give the best damn interview that I can.  You never know what may come from it.

Over the weekend, I got a couple of leads on school nurse jobs.  They're for two different school systems.  One would be a full-time job; they're only hiring 3 spots, but my contact (who happens to work in the schools) told me exactly who I should talk to and to say I've been referred by her.  The other is PRN (substitute nurse) so the schedule would not be consistent; however my contact tells me that they're always scrambling for nurses.  She's promised me a glowing reference; in fact, she already told the person in charge of hiring about me and that I might be contacting her soon.

I think I may apply for the PRN one.  I'm still working to get into a hospital and I think my next chance may be this fall, the next couple of months or so.  I really don't want to start a full-time job and then have to leave because I've gotten my big break...not yet, anyway.  Besides, I'd rather that the job I do take while I'm waiting for my big break offer me more in the way of getting clinical skills than the school nursing job would.  So if I go for the PRN one, I do get experience, I do get food for the resume, and I do have the flexibility to say "No" if I can't go in that day or decide to move on.  After September or so, though, I think I need to take whatever I can get when I can get it, especially if I want to start saving to pay my way through the RN-BSN program.

That reminds me, I also need to touch base on that skilled nursing one today or tomorrow.