August 9, 2009

So...

I got a new dishwasher, but it's not here yet.  It'll be installed sometime this or next week.  In the meantime, I'm doing dishes the way that I did them when growing up:  by hand.  It sucks, yes...on the brighter side, my sink's a lot cleaner now.

Meanwhile, the clothing dryer has started having Cheyne-Stokes respirations.  I'm hoping that one can hold on until I get a job, as two new appliances in a short period of time is a real hard financial hit.   Of course, if it dies, I can always dry my clothing outside, to the delight and excitement of all the stray animals in the neighborhood.  But that's an awful lot of laundry to have out there, it's been raining a lot in the evenings, and considering that since I can get forgetful about getting laundry out of the dryer to fold it, I can't imagine I'll be any better about remembering to get it off of the line...drying it outside is asking for trouble.

I compiled a list of questions to ask tomorrow, as well as a list of what they may ask me so I can prepare.  My friend who scored the job filled me in on a few things that they asked her/she asked them, but I figure I'd need more than that--I don't want to go in parroting her, after all.  Let them get to know me.  I also spent yesterday with a procedure book glancing over a few common procedures.  I was surprised by how much I remembered...and by how much I forgot.  Yet another reason to start going over those review books and nursing magazines. 

I've been lining up other stuff for the week too, in case Monday doesn't result in a job offer.  I want to be very optimistic as that's what happened to my friend...then again, as I've written before, I can take nothing for granted.  There's a job fair, a few online job applications to complete, a couple of places to fax my resume to, a couple more to visit in person and/or call, an interview from last week to follow-up on, and the usual weekly trolling of the hospital websites.  Now that I've got my Blackberry and Outlook talking to each other, it'll be a lot easier for me to keep track of all of these places and tasks, especially while I'm out and about doing them.

There's also that other SNF with the not-so-great hours that I could follow-up on...except that recently, I'd heard a few things about that that were less than savory.  That, plus the fact that the person who interviewed me is no longer there (!) makes me wonder if it's the best working environment to start off in.  I think I'll wait and see how Monday and some of my other hunting plays out first.

I changed the style of the blog and made a custom header...again, like anyone's really going to notice.  It was nice to be able to do some graphics.  I forgot how good at this stuff I used to be, though what I did is really nothing at all to do.   Take the sheep, nurse him up, clean him up and put him on a good background...which happened to be a picture of a green scrubbie.  But it can pass for grass...or at the least, Astroturf.